The first school in which high school courses were taught in Pike Township was not actually a high school, but an elementary school.  Pike Township School No. 6, which was located in New Augusta at the intersection of W. 73rd Street and Coffman Road, began to offer secondary-level classes in the fall of 1889.
Compared to all of the other district schoolhouses, the four-room, two-story building was quite large.  As there were only a few students wishing to take high school courses at the end of the 19th century, a separate high school was not yet warranted.  The high school students’ classes met on the upper level of the elementary school.  The first two students were graduated from high school in 1892.  That 19th-century elementary school building later became the gymnasium for the high school that was built next door to it.  Although the high school building is now gone, the former elementary school and erstwhile gym is still standing today.  It is privately owned and houses a heating and cooling company.

[photo caption) Built sometime prior to 1880, School No. 6 was converted to a gym in 1912, after a new high school was built to the east of it (photo by Sharon Butsch Freeland)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PIKE HIGH SCHOOL BUILT IN 1938